Joseph S. GoodePartner
Joseph S. GoodePartner
Joseph S. Goode is the Managing Partner of LLG. He approaches client problems with passion and intensity as if those problems were his own.
The day he graduated from Syracuse University College of Law, Joe Goode received the George and Evelyn Marcus Award for being the graduate who best demonstrated the qualities of good judgment, ambition, understanding, compassion, and an appreciation of learning. It was an honor, but also an early indicator. In the more than two storied decades since, those exact qualities have become synonymous with Joe. They’ve not only contributed to his countless successes as an attorney both inside and out of the courtroom, but also to the standards by which all of us at LLG are held.
As the last of five children, he honed his advocacy skills early in life and became very good at letting people know where he stands. He’s a tireless leader who is intense and demanding (mostly of himself). He maintains an exacting eye of an old-school newsroom editor. Joe’s joie de vivre is infectious to everyone around him, and his passion for people is routinely used to speak for those who require his advocacy.
- Represented franchisor in multi-state distribution dispute and obtained dismissal of Amended Complaint without need for protracted discovery.
- Successfully mediated franchise dispute between franchisor and franchisee over post-termination restrictive covenants in executive coaching franchise system.
- Negotiated dealership dispute to avoid litigation and termination under Wisconsin Fair Dealership Law on behalf of legacy franchise.
- Coordinated motion to quash subpoena in multi-jurisdictional patent dispute and leveraged motion for dismissal of lawsuit.
- Litigated fiduciary dispute on behalf of trustee in inter-family dispute and achieved comprehensive settlement and family “peace”.
- Litigated complex, multi-year dealership dispute and achieved comprehensive settlement for multi-state and multi-line construction equipment dealership in “bet the company” case.
- Aggressively defended recipient of POD benefits in probate dispute involving claims of undue influence and incompetence and achieved six-figure settlement for client.
- Led “deal team” for asset purchase involving construction equipment dealership sold to private equity group.
- Prosecuted claims of “green” building products manufacturer in case involving international conspiracy to steal trade secrets and infringe clients copyrighted material. Obtained favorable settlements from each conspirator that enabled client to enhance market position in the United States and Europe.
- Prepared compendium and associated opinion letter of state franchise registration and relationship laws for hotel franchisor contemplating change in system format.
- Pursued civil rights claims on behalf of client wrongfully accused of theft of stolen property.
- Obtained dismissal of complex antitrust and RICO matter asserted against client alleged to have used its market power to dominate the data synchronization industry. Thwarted efforts thereafter by plaintiff to obtain appellate certification of dismissed claims pursuant to Fed. R. Civ. P. 54(b).
- Assisted franchisee association of national hotel system in navigating contractual position with franchisor over protocols for guest website access.
- Defended guarantors and obtained highly favorable settlement in contested bank guaranty case involving real estate development and alleged breaches of the implied covenant of good faith and fair dealing.
- Obtained settlement of claims in association with experts from the ASPCA against “puppy mill” and retail pet store on behalf of clients whose dogs had been sourced by the “puppy mill.”
- Achieved Ruled 12(b)(6) dismissal on behalf of Internet “penny auction” business accused of violating various state anti-gambling laws, thereby establishing national precedent for the “penny auction” model pursued by client.
- Successfully defended motion for preliminary injunction at evidentiary hearing seeking to shut down alleged competing power equipment enterprise pursued by a group of former employees of plaintiff.
- Served as class counsel in $206 million national class action settlement on behalf of franchisees of the Quiznos submarine sandwich chain who had asserted that franchisor violated the RICO statute through its conduct in delivering food and supplies to its franchisees.
- Defended timber business in dispute over timber and related property rights and achieved favorable settlement for client’s interest.
- Obtained favorable settlement in multiple-forum dispute involving fair dealership practices of manufacturer of solar inverters after comprehensive discovery of adversary’s witnesses.
- Achieved Fed. R. Civ. P. 59(e) reversal of district court decision dismissing a putative class action upon a finding by the district court that it had committed manifest error in dismissing the action on the pleadings.
- Tried week long animal seizure case on behalf of a private animal shelter involving 52 pit bull terriers seized by authorities as part of a dog-fighting ring.
- Obtained defense verdict and finding of patent invalidity in multi-million dollar patent infringement suit involving electronic trigger of a paintball gun. Successfully obtained post-verdict finding of patent invalidity on related patent initially subject to finding of validity, infringement, and damages.
- Tried $7.4 million dealership case to jury verdict.
- Established new legal precedent under Wisconsin’s open meetings law making it illegal for public bodies subject to the statute to engage in “walking quorums.”
- Facilitated comprehensive settlement of multi-million dollar shareholder oppression lawsuit involving family-owned construction equipment distributorship.
- Represented cardiology practice group in contractual dispute with local hospital regarding rate payments and achieved successful settlement on behalf of clients.
- Successfully defended closely held defense contractor in shareholder oppression and breach of fiduciary duty lawsuit by obtaining summary judgment and affirmation of judgment on appeal.
- Assumed representation of non-compete litigation from predecessor and changed litigation trajectory on behalf of clients who then achieved favorable settlement.
- Worked with boat manufacturer on multiple lawsuits involving problem dealer who invoked Wisconsin Fair Dealership Law and obtained preliminary injunction against dealer due to dealer’s unlawful conduct.
- Successfully argued before the Wisconsin Supreme Court on issue of the applicability of preclusion doctrines to defeat federal equal protection claim stemming from denial of conditional use permit and subsequent state court writ of certiorari proceedings.
- Represented foundry and majority shareholders in shareholder oppression lawsuit and obtained favorable outcome for client in litigation that resulted in departure of complaining shareholder on favorable terms to client.
Published Works and Presentations
- Presenter and Panelist: Navigating your Local Municipal System: Shelter Contracts, Seizure Cases, and How to Insulate Yourself from Economic Harm, Badger State Conference (sponsored by Wisconsin Federated Humane Societies (WFHS)), Madison, WI October 17, 2018
- Co-Author: Joining Forces: Preparing Clients for Litigation–41st Annual ABA Forum on Franchising, Nashville, TN (Conference Materials) (October 11-13, 2018)
- Co-Author: The Comprehensive Guide to Economic Damages, Vol. I-II (Fifth Edition, October 2018), Chapter 24 (Franchise and Dealership Litigation Damages), published by Business Valuation Resources, LLC
- Co-Presenter: Joining Forces: Preparing Clients for Litigation–41st Annual ABA Forum on Franchising, Nashville, TN (October 11-13, 2018)
- Co-Presenter: Legal Strategies for Addressing the Link Between Family Violence & Animal Cruelty, Conference: The Link Between Family Violence & Animal Cruelty: A Community-Wide Approach to Breaking the Cycle of Abuse (sponsored by Sheltering Animals of Abuse Victims (SAAV)), Madison, WI (October 5, 2018)
- Faculty Member: Wisconsin Humane Officer Training – University of Missouri Law Enforcement Training Institute and Wisconsin Department of Agriculture, Trade & Consumer Protection, Madison, WI (September 25, 2018)
- Co-Author: 2018 Judicial Update, 51st Annual Legal Symposium, International Franchise Association, Washington D.C. (May 6-8, 2018)
- Co-Presenter (Solo and Small Firm Breakfast): Tap Dancing Through a Minefield: Client Selection and Red Flags, 40th Annual ABA Forum on Franchising, Palm Desert, CA (October 20, 2017)
- Faculty Member: Wisconsin Humane Officer Training – University of Missouri Law Enforcement Training Institute and Wisconsin Department of Agriculture, Trade & Consumer Protection, Madison, WI (September 21, 2017)
- Co-Author: Seven Years Hence: Constructive Termination Since Mac’s Shell, 36 Franchise L. R. 627 (2017)
- Co-Presenter: Civil War in the Distribution Chain: Managing and Resolving Conflict in Long-Term Relationships, Association of Corporate Counsel (Wisconsin), Elkhart Lake, WI (May 18-19, 2017)
- Faculty Member: Wisconsin Humane Officer Training – University of Missouri Law Enforcement Training Institute and Wisconsin Department of Agriculture, Trade & Consumer Protection, Madison, WI (September 27, 2016)
- Co-Presenter: Animal Cases: A Thorn in Your Paw or a Feather in Your Cap, Wisconsin Association of County Corporation Counsel (WACCC), Waukesha, WI (May 5, 2016)
- Presenter: What’s Buried in the Archive? Current Issues in e-Discovery–38th Annual ABA Forum on Franchising, New Orleans, LA (October 14-16, 2015)
- Co-Author: What’s Buried in the Archive? Current Issues in e-Discovery–38th Annual ABA Forum on Franchising, New Orleans, LA (Conference Materials) (October 14-16, 2015)
- Faculty Member: Wisconsin Humane Officer Training – University of Missouri Law Enforcement Training Institute and Wisconsin Department of Agriculture, Trade & Consumer Protection, Madison, WI (September 22, 2015)
- Faculty Member: Wisconsin Humane Officer Training – University of Missouri Law Enforcement Training Institute and Wisconsin Department of Agriculture, Trade & Consumer Protection, Madison, WI (September 23, 2014)
- Presenter: Animal Cruelty: From Investigation to Verdict –Eau Claire County Corporation Counsel’s Office, Eau Claire, WI (August 13, 2014)
- Presenter: Animal Neglect & Cruelty: Navigating the Maze – Wisconsin Department of Agriculture, Trade & Consumer Protection, Madison, WI (February 10, 2014)
- Faculty Member: Wisconsin Humane Officer Training – University of Missouri Law Enforcement Training Institute and Wisconsin Department of Agriculture, Trade & Consumer Protection, Madison, WI (September 24, 2013)
- Presenter: Animal Control Contracts with Municipalities: Managing Private Shelter Finances and Risks in the Day and Age of Fiscal Austerity in the Public Sector – Wisconsin Federated Humane Societies, Inc., Badger State Conference, Stevens Point, WI (October 11, 2012)
- Presenter: Group Litigation: Strategic Considerations for Cases Involving Numerous Parties, Mass Actions, Class Actions and Claims Brought by Franchise Associations – 35th Annual ABA Forum on Franchising, Los Angeles, CA (October 3-5, 2012)
- Co-Author: Group Litigation: Strategic Considerations for Cases Involving Numerous Parties, Mass Actions, Class Actions and Claims Brought by Franchise Associations – 35th Annual ABA Forum on Franchising, Los Angeles, CA (Conference Materials) (October 3-5, 2012)
- Faculty Member: Wisconsin Humane Officer Training – University of Missouri Law Enforcement Training Institute and Wisconsin Department of Agriculture, Trade & Consumer Protection, Madison, WI (September 25, 2012)
- Author: Enhancing Animal Welfare Laws – Wisconsin Lawyer, Vol. 84, No. 12 (December 2011)
- Roundtable Facilitator: Franchisee Associations: Strategies and Realities – International Franchise Association, 44th Annual Legal Symposium, Washington, D.C. (May 17, 2011)
- Co-Author: Arbitration in 2011 – International Franchise Association, 44th Annual Legal Symposium, Washington, D.C. (Conference Materials) (May 16-17, 2011)
- Presenter: Arbitration in 2011 – International Franchise Association, 44th Annual Legal Symposium, Washington, D.C. (May 16, 2011)
- Co-Author: Class Action Prohibitions And The Effect of Contract Rules On The Collective Pursuit of Common Claims – The Franchise Law Journal, Vol. 30, No. 3, 167 (Winter 2011)
- Author: Changing the Balance of Power in Patent Disputes: The Potential Impact of the Supreme Court Decision in eBay v. Mercexchange – WHD Spotlight (Fall 2006)
- Co-Author & Presenter: Rules and Procedures for Federal Court Success – National Business Institute (Seminar Materials) (October 2006)
- Presenter: Suitability and the “Know Your Customer” Rule – Lincoln Financial Advisors, Madison, WI (September 2003)
- Author: Perspectives on Patient Confidentiality in the Age of AIDS – 44 Syracuse L. Rev. 967 (1994)
- Faxon Sales, Inc. v. U-Line Corp., Case No. 17-CV-872-JPS, 2017 WL 4990617 (E.D. Wis. 2017).
- Animal Legal Defense Fund v. Board of Regents of the University of Wisconsin et al., Case No. 2016AP869, 2017 WL 4750694 (Ct. App. Wis. 2017).
- Braatz, LLC v. Red Mango FC, LLC et al., Case No. 15-10498, 2016 WL 1253679 (5th Cir. 2016).
- Arcangelo, Inc., et al. v. DirectBuy, Inc., No. 3:13-CV-104-PPS, 2015 WL 5148513 (N.D. Ind. Sept. 2, 2015)
- My Health, Inc. v. General Electric Co., No. 15-cv-80-jdp, 2015 WL 9474293 (W.D. Wis. Dec. 28, 2015)
- Braatz, LLC v. Red Mango FC, LLC, No. 3:14-CV-4516-G, 2015 WL 1893194 (N.D. Tex. April 27, 2015)
- Volvo Construction Equipment North America, LLC v. Clyde/West, Inc., No. C14-0534JLR, 2014 WL 6886679 (W.D. Wash. Dec. 3, 2014).
- Volvo Construction Equipment North America, LLC v. Clyde/West, Inc., No. C14-0534JLR, 2014 WL 5365454 (W.D. Wash. Oct. 20, 2014).
- Volvo Construction Equipment North America, LLC v. Clyde/West, Inc., 26 F. Supp. 3d 1033 (W.D. Wash. 2014)
- Roberts v. C.R. England, Inc., 2:12-cv-00302-RJS-BCW, 2013 WL 3893987 (D. Utah July 26, 2013)
- Edgenet, Inc. v. GS1 U.S., Inc., et al., 09-CV-65, 2011 WL 1305219 (E.D. Wis. April 1, 2011)
- Edgenet, Inc. v. GS1 U.S., Inc. et al., 742 F. Supp. 2d 997 (E.D. Wis. 2010)
- Siemer v. Quizno’s Franchise Co., LLC, 07-C-2170, 2010 WL 3238840 (N.D. Ill. Aug. 13, 2010)
- Bonanno v. Quizno’s Franchise Co., LLC, 06-CV-02358-CMA-KLM, 2009 WL 1068744 (D. Colo. April 20, 2009)
- Westerfield v. Quizno’s Franchise Co., LLC, 06-C-1210, 2008 WL 2512467 (E.D. Wis. April 16, 2008)
- Alliance Laundry Systems v. Tec Air, Inc., 06-C-0488, 2007 WL 844877 (E.D. Wis. March 16, 2007)
- QFA Royalties LLC v. Schodron, 06-CV-01576-WYD, 2007 WL 485292 (D. Colo. Feb. 9, 2007)
- Uebelacker v. Paula Allen Holdings, Inc., 464 F. Supp. 2d 791 (W.D. Wis. 2006)
- NPF, Ltd. v. Smart Parts, Inc., 04-C-221-S, 2005 WL 1331100 (W.D. Wis. June 2, 2005)
- Braun Elevator Co. v. ThyssenKrupp Elevator Corp., 379 F. Supp. 2d 993 (W.D. Wis. 2005)
- State ex rel. Lawton v. Town of Barton, 278 Wis. 2d 388, 692 N.W.2d 304 (Ct. App. 2004)
- Alliant Energy Corp. v. Alltel Corp., 344 F. Supp. 2d 1176 (S.D. Iowa 2004)
- Payday Loan Store of Wisconsin, Inc. v. City of Madison, 333 F. Supp. 2d 800 (W.D. Wis. 2004)
- Norkol/Fibercore, Inc. v. Gubb, 279 F. Supp. 2d 993 (E.D. Wis. 2003)
- Beloit Liquidating Trust v. Grade, 266 Wis. 2d 388, 669 N.W.2d 232 (Ct. App. 2003)
- Reget v. Paige, 242 Wis. 2d 278, 626 N.W.2d 302 (Ct. App. 2001)
- Hanlon v. Town of Milton, 235 Wis. 2d 597, 612 N.W.2d 44 (2000)
- Hanlon v. Town of Milton, 186 F.3d 831 (7th Cir. 1999)
- Bar Code Resources v. Ameritech Info. Sys., Inc., 229 Wis. 2d 287, 599 N.W.2d 872 (Ct. App. 1999)
- Centres, Inc. v. Town of Brookfield, 148 F.3d 699 (7th Cir. 1998)
- Sieren v. William R. Hague, Inc., 999 F. Supp. 1244 (E.D. Wis. 1998)
- State ex rel. Flynn v. Dep’t of Administration, 216 Wis. 2d 521, 576 N.W.2d 245 (1998)
- Bauder v. Delavan-Darien School District, 207 Wis. 2d 310, 558 N.W.2d 881 (Ct. App. 1996)
- Seltrecht v. Bremer, 195 Wis. 2d 880, 536 N.W. 2d 727 (Ct. App. 1995)
- Steinberg v. Jensen, 194 Wis. 2d 439, 534 N.W.2d 361 (1995)
Professional Admissions, Associations, and Honors
U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Wisconsin
U.S. District Court for the Western District of Wisconsin
U.S. District Court of the Northern District of Indiana
U.S. District Court for the District of Colorado
U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois (Trial Bar)
U.S. Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit
U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit
U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
State Bar of Wisconsin
American Bar Association
ABA Forum on Franchising
Seventh Circuit Bar Association
Milwaukee Bar Association
Justinian Honorary Society
Order of Barristers
Franchise Times Legal Eagle (2017 and 2018)
Animal Legal Defense Fund 2017 Advancement in Animal Law Pro Bono Achievement Award
Best Lawyers 2018 (Milwaukee Franchise Lawyer of the Year)
Best Lawyers 2018 (Commercial Litigation and Franchise Law)
Best Lawyers 2017 (Milwaukee Franchise Lawyer of the Year)
Best Lawyers 2017 (Commercial Litigation and Franchise Law)
Best Lawyers 2016 (Commercial Litigation and Franchise Law)
Best Lawyers 2015 (Commercial Litigation and Franchise Law)
Best Lawyers 2015 (Milwaukee Franchise Lawyer of the Year)
Best Lawyers 2014 (Commercial Litigation and Franchise Law)
Best Lawyers 2013 (Commercial Litigation)
Best Lawyers 2012 (Commercial Litigation)
Wisconsin Super Lawyers (2007, 2009-2017)
Wisconsin Super Lawyers “Rising Star” (2006)
Syracuse University College of Law/J.D., cum laude, 1994
Maxwell School of Citizenship & Public Affairs, Syracuse University/M.P.A., cum laude, 1994
University of Wisconsin-Madison/B.A., History, 1989
Executive Committee, Syracuse University College of Law Moot Court Board/1993-1994
Associate Member, Syracuse University College of Law Moot Court Board/1992-1993
Associate Editor, Syracuse Law Review/1993-1994
Editorial Staff Member, Syracuse Law Review/1992-1993
Legal Writing Instructor, Syracuse University College of Law/1993-1994
Robert M. Anderson Publication Award
George and Evelyn Marcus Award
Joe is an animal lover and the Mayor of LLG’s Dog Community (we like our mutts). His beloved boxer, Greta, is an office fixture. Joe is married to Dina and is active in the Milwaukee community. He is also a member of the Board of Directors of the Dane County Humane Society and serves as its President. Every Tuesday at noon, he can be found eating lunch with his fellow Rotarians at the Milwaukee Rotary Club.