Klay A. BaynarAssociate
Klay A. BaynarAssociate
Klay A. Baynar is an associate at LLG. He focuses his practice on representing businesses and individuals in complex civil litigation matters. Klay joined LLG following a two-year clerkship with Justice Shirley S. Abrahamson of the Wisconsin Supreme Court. Prior to that, Klay clerked for the Honorable Susan N. Burke in Hennepin County District Court in Minneapolis. In both settings, Klay gained exposure to all manner of civil disputes and learned the ins and outs of trial and appellate procedure. Klay’s intimate knowledge of judicial decision-making is frequently drawn upon to guide litigation strategy and achieve favorable outcomes for his clients.
Outside of work, Klay used to be an avid moviegoer and an okay-ish home cook, but post-COVID-19, Klay is now an avid home cook and an okay-ish moviegoer.
- Assisted in obtaining partial summary judgment for commercial tenant in lease dispute with landlord.
- Obtained summary judgment for furniture manufacturer and retailer accused of breach of contract warranty claims.
- Assisted in obtaining favorable pre-suit settlement for client in dispute between owners of a closely held business.
- Assisted in obtaining a court order staying litigation against client and compelling the parties to arbitrate.
- Assisted in obtaining favorable tri-party settlement for client manufacturer in territory dispute with two Wisconsin distributors.
- Successfully defended a plaintiff franchisee against a Rule 12(b)(6) motion to dismiss by defendant franchisor.
- Provided counsel to client non-profit organization in unemployment benefits dispute, saving thousands of dollars.
- Assisted in obtaining summary judgment of unfair competition and tortious interference with contract claims asserted against client, a creator of software used by agribusiness retailers to track compliance with EPA regulations.
Published Works and Presentations
- Co-Author: Thinking Outside the State: The Dormant Commerce Clause and Its Impact on State Relationship Laws, 39 Franchise L. J. 515 (2020)
- Author: Judicial Bias and Social Media: Always Google Your Judge, DRI’s The Voice, Vol. 19, Issue 38 (September 2020)
- Falk v. Wheeler, Case No. 19-CV-1168, 2020 WL 759180 (E.D. Wis. Feb. 13, 2020)
- AgInformationData, LLC v. Integrated Solutions Group, Inc., Case No. 11-3673 (DWF/JSM), 2014 WL 4348209 (D. Minn. Sept. 8, 2014)
Professional Admissions, Associations, and Honors
U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Wisconsin
U.S. District Court for the Western District of Wisconsin
State Bar of Wisconsin
State Bar of Minnesota
Best Lawyers “Ones to Watch” (Commercial Litigation) (2020)
Wisconsin Super Lawyers “Rising Star” (2020)
University of Minnesota Law School / J.D., 2014
Millikin University / B.A., Philosophy & History, summa cum laude, 2011
Managing Editor, Law & Inequality: A Journal of Theory and Practice / 2013-14
Statutory Interpretation – Honors, University of Minnesota Law School / 2012
Legal Research and Writing – Honors, University of Minnesota Law School / 2011
James Millikin Scholar, Millikin University / 2010-11
Scovill Prize, Millikin University / 2010
Justice Shirley S. Abrahamson, Wisconsin Supreme Court / 2017-19
Judge Susan N. Burke, Hennepin County District Court / 2015-17